Saturday, August 12, 2006

Being the change we want to see in the world


What a glorious week full of internet!! Here I am again, ready to give a quick update, and realizing more and more that internet is a double-edged sword, a blessing and a curse at the same time because it always makes me happy at first, and then I quickly move to sadness thinking about home and friends, etc. It´s like an addiction, you start needing it more and more, the quick fix to make you feel a short high...maybe not having it in São Domingos is a good thing.

Anyhow, I won´t write much because I´m writing on the fly, nothing pre-prepared for you. Life is good, tomorrow we´re going to Tarrafal, the beach I mentioned earlier, and hopefully we´ll get to work on the tan a little. Tonight a bunch of us are going to try and cook our first real Cape Verdean meal by ourselves, we´ll see how it turns out! Hopefully by the time I get home I´ll have learned how to take care of myself in the kitchen...

They just finished paving the new road in São Domingos, which has turned out not to be the greatest thing (in my opinion). It of course opens the town up to more transportation and opportunities, but things have just gotten much more dangerous. The drivers drive ten times as fast, and just this morning, a little boy flew off the back of a helix (one of the public open-back trucks) and smashed his head on the concrete...we´re pretty sure he didn´t make it, as they grabbed him off the ground and rushed him to the hospital, no ambulance, no backboard, nothing. It´s very sad, but the youth development people (me and three other Trainees) are planning a youth day with a girl´s futbol tournament and we´re hoping to incorporate street safety into the day as our overall message. Hopefully we can make people more aware of the dangers, as I´m sure they´re already becoming.

Anyhow, I should get off the computer now, but I might get another chance to hop on tomorrow, so hopefully I´ll have more to report. In the meantime, it looks like I might be in Assomada living with another Trainee named Nick, working at an all-girls ICM...we´ll know after next Saturday! Okay, I love and miss you all. Take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney!

I was just going through my email (something I have been sure not to do a lot of since graduating!) and saw yours and though..."ah ha! a way to see what you're doing!" because I've been wondering. And you write wonderfully...you remind me of my own Peace Corps days and I must say I am envious a bit. I love being able to hear what you're doing and thinking and dreaming about over there in Cape Verde.

Actually, I thought about you as I flew back from Malawi some time in mid-July...we didn't stop in Cape Verde this time, but in Dakar, Senegal and it was early in the morning because our plane was late...the airstrip is on the coast though looking out in the direction of Cape Verde...I looked out there (hey, what else am I going to do on a 2 hour layover when I can't get off the plane) and thought . . . Courtney's over there somewhere.

But I digress. I just wanted to wish you the very best and say that I LOVE reading about your adventures. Hard to believe for me that I am not going back to school this week...and that I am no longer in Montana, but I am so happy to still have a connection to those who also follow Ghandi's wisdom.

Take care Courtney! All the best,

Abby