Friday, October 26, 2007

Happy camper gets shot in the heart

I'm not really updating. Not really. Just letting the world know that Cinza is missing. Going on the fourth day, and I'm pretty sure someone took her. She always stays close and comes when I call, but alas no amount of calling has made her come back yet. And every Cape Verdean I talk to says "Someone probably just took her. You should just get another one". Another one??? Unfortunately for me a cat is not like a pair of socks. I spent so much time raising her, loving her, getting her vaccinated and spayed, taking her on trips to Praia, to other islands, virtually everywhere I went. She was my companion, my friend, something irreplacable. And I'm not ready to say it's a lost cause, even if everyone else could care less and assumes her gone forever. If I knew she had been hit by a car, I could grieve and be done, but I am more angry than sad because someone had the indecency to see something they wanted (and that quite obviously belonged to someone else) and just took it. Goddamn Cape Verdeans. I am going to stop myself now before I enter into a rant on the morality of an entire culture. Wouldn't be fair.

Suffice it to say that I am not a happy camper any longer. Coming home to an empty and quiet room is like a knife in my stomach. So I haven't taken her litter box away under the assumption that she will be back. I'm sad. She is my baby.

Tell me honestly, home audience, do you think she might come back to me? Should I continue knocking on doors until I find her? Should I accept her disappearance and move on? Am I a total freak?

Talk to me, friends and family, because I miss my kitty.

Here is a picture of when she went to Maio with us:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hold on to your hope Courtney! I've known kitties that disappear for weeks then suddenly show up again. Keep us posted.

Lauren D.'s Mom

Anonymous said...

Dearest Courtney - We're rooting for Cinza and hope that she finds her way back home. She may be looking for you as much as you're looking for her. Don't give up yet!

Aunt Sherri

Anonymous said...

Noooo! How heart rending. Your loss is our loss Courtney. Know that I am thinking of both Cinza and you. We had a kitty (still do!) that disappeared for 5 days in 20 degree weather, only to hear him howling for us late one night waaay up in a tree, safe from the coyotes! Don't give up hope, keep looking and when Cinza peaks out of someone's window, be brave, grab her, and RUN! Love you Courtney. Uncle Doug