Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How about some of those whiney blogs....?

Well, as promised, the whole process of coming home and dealing with my still-crazy emotions hasn't eased up too much yet. Anyway, I thought I'd upload some of the writings done along the way. Not profound writings, just expulsion of feelings. Beware, I don't seek to hold back, these are the raw emotions, guys.

September 23, 2008

So much buildup to what seems an inevitable climax, life-changing in all its grandeur, and then…suddenly…you’re just….there. So quickly you feel yourself shutting out the shock, barring up the windows and hunching down for the fight ahead. It’s too scary to let all the senses awaken at once, too much to let it all enter, coming at you full speed. And so it becomes easier to shut off emotions, push those tears back, focus on other somethings.

It becomes dichotomized so easily: my reality vs. this reality. There—warm, brilliant, life, color, familiarity, relationships, hope, music, culture, language, beauty, challenge. Here—cold, frigid structures, strange, unwelcoming, alone, separate, crisis, failures, anxiety, unknown roads that lay ahead. There good, here bad. There was so familiar, so wonderful in all its imperfection and thinly veiled chaos. Here is overtly falling, crashing, strange and foreign, and disappointing in its lack of functionality. Why did I expect it to be different, better here?

I have this strange feeling that there is nothing I want here, that everything I want is back there. This feeling that I don’t belong and that here isn’t where I need or want to be. It doesn’t yet feel familiar and comforting, but instead distant and threatening. Threatens to suck me in, threatens to offer the normality of a life once known and never loved. So easy to fall back in, like everyone else. Yet there beckons me, and won’t give. Must go back, must get back out there, must make these longings and passions articulate.

How do you deal with so much loss all at once? Losing one of the best opportunities to come your way, losing a close family member to dreams you wish that you yourself were realizing. Losing the people who understand you to other more important preoccupations and other more important somebodies. Losing direction, losing vision, losing the people who walked alongside you and became your family. Losing the everyday things that you knew and loved, the language, the day-to-days, the everything that seemed to make up your core for who knows how long.

How strange that you can so easily fade into the background and become invisible. No excited “You’re back!”s, no inquisitive wonderings as per the thing that made you…you. It all adds up to too much free time alone, isolated with your thoughts. Which you thought at one point you wanted, but now don’t know what to do with. How does one be alone? It’s easy to feel alone, but not so easy to be alone and know how to fill that void, particularly when no one cares to help extract all the entrails of a changed and deflated life.

****

October 21, 2008

So many reasons to be sad, it's strange that I'm still here, that I haven't spontaneously combusted. Every moment is excruciating pain. Every minute unbearable without sufficient distraction. I've faced so much loss in a short period of time, it overwhelms my heart. They say to keep busy, but with what? How do I get back out there? How do I fill my day? How do I share my experience in a meaningful way? I ignore it, stuff it inside until it becomes too impossible to articulate. Until I can't really analyze it or process its importance. Until it fades into the background, loses its meaning and it's exactly what I don't want. 


Lost the Gambia, which means the loss of not only a great opportunity, but the loss of certainty, the loss of stability, an entrance into the abyss. I wasn't expecting to have to figure all this other shit out so soon.


Lost Paige, which means losing a part of myself. I'm used to being far from her, but it's not just the distance. With every step she becomes someone I hope to recognize but don't know if I'll have the permission. 


Lost my home. Leaving Cape Verde and everyone I know and love, my whole reality, was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Everything comfortable, everything that supported me, everything that defined me for over two years, the life I created. Words do no justice. 


Switching worlds into something that no longer feels comfortable, natural, or normal is more complex than one really imagines. People say they understand, but it just can't be explained. Slowly you switch mental compartments and you remember what it was like to be here, but it never feels the same. I feel so out of place, unhappy, like everything here is cold and unfamiliar. Nothing waits for me here, nothing keeps me here. 


Lost the surety of my decisions, no longer confident that what I choose is without consequence, feeling that even though I am confident and independent, I don't yet have what I want. And trying to get there seems to bring just as much heartbreak as joy. One simple choice turned my life on a different course. Lost so many opportunities and all for something I thought I wanted. 


There I felt confident and proud. Here I have nothing to hold my head up, I feel shame, embarrassment, and unsteady. There I had an answer, here I hold no answers. Here I feel useless, unneeded, and unimportant. Weak.  Nothing here makes me feel satisfied, fulfilled, excited. Trying to get psyched up about nothing, trying to act normal and self assured to fit back into a world everyone expects me to know. 


***

10/29/08

I keep getting so mad at myself. Why did I foolishly get my hopes up? Why didn’t I listen when so many people said it was important to truly develop your plan B? I nodded confidently, secretly believing “I don’t need it, this is what I want, therefore it will work out”. Foolish. So many times my resolve and determination to do something I set my mind to has resulted in accomplishing what I want to do, but all that it produced was overconfidence. Cockiness. And now I have all this loss to deal with. I did the research, I read the blogs, I talked to people, I planned out what I wanted to do, I started learning the language, I had culturally-appropriate clothes made, everything. I was there in my mind. I had made the leap, there were no alternatives in my brainwashed psyche. Foolish. So how do I choose to respond? Do I take myself down a few notches and continue to blame myself, repeating the mantra that “I should have been better prepared”? Do I chastise my idealistic overconfidence and seek to be pessimistic or at best realistic next time? Or do I not let it affect my stride and continue to see myself as capable of anything, ready for the impossible, and meant for greater things? My heart doesn’t feel arrogant, but I guess just feels the need to hold myself to higher standards. Or feels that in order to accomplish great things one needs to be at least moderately convinced that they are a step ahead, of a “different” nature, made of a different grain. Delicate balance.

It’s hard to feel confident in the middle of nothing. Accomplishing nothing, contributing nothing, knowing no one, having no concrete leads, everyone telling you kindly “it’ll all work out” yet giving no specific advice. I am starting to feel like nothing. Not low self-esteem necessarily, but just here, a waste of space. It will pass, I know, because I am doing something (i.e. finishing the masters), but for the first time I don’t have a concrete to look forward to. All my unemployed moments have been a brief break, a holding pen, before the next thing lined up. Nothing is lined up now, I am defining my future, and what if I miss something? What if something giant is waiting in the hedges, and I walk right past it?

My mom made a comment that struck me this morning. I usually pride myself in being so self aware and courteous of others’ feelings, almost to a fault. Always saying what will please those around me, always making sure not to offend. Apparently Africa really did change that as I was starting to suspect. She said sometimes I expect too much of people, expect them to feel the same way I do, expect them to understand what I mean without a patient explanation. I expect them to have changed their views, or at least expect them to understand why I have. And all this time I thought I was hiding it well. I know intellectually that they haven’t changed and that I have, I expected that dissonance in conversations. But I suppose I thought I would be better at wading through the frustrating interactions, I thought I would be more patient. But I think at some level it’s just too difficult to be surrounded literally 90% of the time by people who think and feel drastically different than I do. It’s too much, too overwhelming to try and explain it all or to try and let everything slide, when almost everything they do or say makes you want to cringe. I feel the need to put the tape over my mouth, and part of me feels that it’s not fair (or healthy, as I will be prevented from truly processing and digesting it all), yet knows that it’s imperative so as to nurture relationships that should be important to me, and so as not to drive everyone away from me. That crazy girl who can’t stop talking about Africa and how much Americans don’t get it. I know I haven’t done a good job of tempering my frustration, depression, disappointment. But who do I talk to about it? I don’t see any allies around me, and it makes me feel desperate. Then I feel the need to resort to hiding, secluding myself reclusively in my house/room/local Starbucks, taking care of myself in my own way and suddenly without outlets. It’s hard to go from one large group of people (i.e. PCVs) who to some extent shared most of my beliefs and viewpoints, or at least could provide stimulating discussion to enrich my own views, to absolutely no one. I need to get hooked up to a group, or move to a different town, or do something. Because I’ve lost a network, and living without one doesn’t cut it.

And so I am disappointed in myself in so many ways. Despite all my training, all my supposed self-awareness (which admittedly fell to the side the last several months), despite all my firsthand knowledge and experience in cross-cultural adaptation and reverse cultural shock, I did not handle it well. Too much has changed.

No comments: