Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sorry...?

Okay. So I was rereading some of my latest posts, and I realized I should probably apologize for being so harsh on Cape Verdean culture. While everthing I write comes from an honest place and my true feelings, I have to be careful with how it comes across, or at least provide a disclaimer. I like it here, I will stay here for the two years, and I will dedicate myself to learning from this culture, and contributing in whatever way I can. That doesn't mean I won't have rough moments, like these last few weeks. And it doesn't mean a word I said wasn't true. I feel that way sometimes, and have frustrations. But I don't want it assumed that all Cape Verdeans are lazy, materialistic, or unappreciative. Or apathetic. It is a generalization, one that comes back to me often but that I will continue to try and fight, if not just to be the example I want to see in them. But I will admit this will require some encouragement once in awhile. I need to find a way to stay motivated. One that does not involve friends loaning me DVDs to watch on the computer when I want a "break"...those are the times I wish I was in rural sub-Saharan Africa where that wasn't an option. Darn our technological advancement and opportunities for laziness. Brings out the parts of you that you don't like.

But it's okay, I still like myself most of the time.

I still haven't received my mom's package that contains the CD we (the Passion Experiment, a.k.a. Emily's creation) recorded before I left. I'm craving it. It will come, but I'm impatient as always.

That's it for this note. Just a brief and humble bow to qualify previous words. I'd say I'll be more careful and try and read things before I post them, but that's probably not true. So you'll just have to take things with a grain of salt. You should be doing that anyways.

No comments: