Friday, November 30, 2007

Reality Bites

11/18/07
Indira Baptista. 17. Kabesa dretu. Sta gravida, e pamodi? Pregnant because it seems the better way. Because he said he would give her a future, not counting the brilliant one she already had. Ka ta podi bai skola mas. Ka ta ser kel ki nu kria, kel ki el também kria um bes. Of all the girls with all the potential, her with the most…it’s not a world-ending situation, not the first time it’s happened here, to these girls. Nor will it be the last. Ma mesmo asi… podia ser diferenti.

People talk about working to educate against teen pregnancy. Teen pregnancy. What does that mean? For so long, it seemed to remain such a concept, such a phrase. Nothing more. People throw it out there, like “poverty” or “human rights” or “women’s development” or whatever else. And maybe in other contexts it really is nothing more, such an everyday whatever. The norm in most places perhaps outside of affluent US and Western Europe. Every day here in Cape Verde I watch tiny girls with huge bellies walking in the direction of the clinic (at least they’re going…?), and it just seems like a thing. Like an expectation, almost. But when it happens to girls like Indira. Kredu. She just seemed so different, so responsible, so focused, so not the one pulled by domiciliation.

So we did an intervention with the rest of the girls, to explain the situation, why she could no longer stay in the Center, why they should take this seriously. And who knows if they will. And this is maybe one of the single things I feel strongly about. I can’t call myself a “hardcore women’s lib” type, because I know not all women in all cultures are the same nor want the same thing, but I do know that they deserve a chance to find it out for themselves, instead of being tied down so soon. Because it is them who get tied down. They may be lucky enough to have a rapaz responsible enough to own up to the child, but they may not. And maybe that responsible rapaz will get tired of playing Daddy and can disappear, not a second look back. But this mother will always be a mother, will always be the one to carry the physical weight, the emotional, psychological, all. Can’t so easily dissolve into the background. And once you have one…seems at least 5 more must follow.

I’m sad for her, but happy that she’s not crushed—really not even upset by it. So maybe she’ll put all herself into her child, maybe she’ll survive the weight of it all. And time to dust off the hands and be done with it…moving on to the others not yet “lost”.

And I wonder about myself, why or how I’m different. For all the occasional ridicule I receive for my lifestyle choices, it has preserved me thus far. But from what? Where is the balance between shutting off the possibility of liberating experiences and guarding from harm? Everything permissible, yet not everything beneficial. Anything to excess becomes vice. And I find I lack luster to continue any analysis. What is is, and I move on to how I fit into it all.

No comments: